July 18, 2007

Nobody Dies...





"Nobody dies" is what this young soldier said. The movie is "A Walk in the Sun" from Lewis Milestone. I didnt watch the rest of the movie. I imagine he probably didnt make it to the end either.


We tell ourselves all kinds of things in uncertain times. Most of the time it's something like, "Everything always works out in the end".


Does it?


We have our three granddaughters and their mother living with us right now. Here they are eating ice cream. They're sweet and rowdy and loving and difficult, all at the same time. Above all, though, they are sisters- and somehow that transcends hardships. The two daughters who live here now exhibit the same thing. They argue and laugh, just like the little ones, but most of all they lean on each other. Beth and her sisters do the same.


Yes, I'm the only male among all these girls and women. It's a mixed blessing. I've missed having girls around the house. The reasons are the things I just mentioned. I love their voices and their smiles and a million other things and I wouldnt trade places with any man I know.


One thing is that it's almost like a do-over. When my girls were little, I didnt know how enjoyable they were. I was too busy trying to make them grow up. Now they're grown and I so often wish I could make them little again. So, with these I can smile inside when they're being too loud or running too much. I can make time to sit with them on my lap or next to me on the sofa.


I dont know what I will be to them as they get older. What I do know is that I'm doing everything I can to be better than I was for their mom.

No comments: