July 16, 2007

The Magician Lives Next Door...


Tonight I sketched out the foundation of a painting from this pic. I took this on the first Friday of June. It was raining. I'd seen the girl before, in the gallery where I hang my stuff. She was cute and had a nice smile and I thought I'd like to paint her, but that was as far as it went. Later, when I saw her in this window, I ran out onto the wet sidewalk and told her, "Please, dont move". I've not seen her since.

So now she'll become a painting on someone's wall, that will last longer than she will live, and she probably wont ever see it.

I dont usually do paintings of people. It's so much easier to do trees and rocks. After all, a tree is a tree is a tree, but a person pretty much has to look like that person. Trees can be wonky and lean to one side. Cant do that with people.



Jenedy Paige is a wonderful illustrator whose work I just love. She's so good at communicating just what the piece needs to say. You cant say much in a landscape, except, "Wow! Look at those trees and rocks and water!"

Tomorrow I'm going out painting at a "lake" (Colorado slang for a pond). I'll have a lot of time, but it's supposed to be really hot. Then I'm having dinner with a friend.


No comments: