August 10, 2007

The Carrot at the End of the Tunnel...

Yes, it's a mixed metaphor. I love these and thank God for the people who collect them. Here's one link..http://www.calvin.edu/academic/engl/lang/mixmet.htm

A few of my favorites from this site are:

"too many black sheep in my closets"
"I'd like to be a fish on the wall at that meeting."
"too many oars in the fire"
"a pandora's box of worms"

One my personal favorites, not listed on the site:

"Dont count your chickens before they cross the road."

Well, it's kids night here at the old homestead. Here you see the girls, along with their cousins, Josiah and Derek. What a lot of memories this brings up.

My cousin was the first girl I ever kissed on the lips. We were both five or six years old and had seen so many people kissing on TV that we just had to try it.

I fell in love with my neighbor's cousin the summer before seventh or eighth grade. We got kicked out of the public pool for kissing too much. We tried it while she was floating on her back. Sitting on the edge of the pool. I picked her up in the shallow end and carried her, kissing, until I couldnt touch bottom. That's when we tried it underwater. When we came up the lifeguard made us leave. I'd have killed my kids if I found out they'd done it. Cant imagine what her dad would've done.

Today I cut branches off our big old maple tree. They've been hanging down over the sidewalk and the street. Had to get up on a ladder and have Beth hold the end so I could get up high enough for some of them. Our neighbor next door makes walking sticks, so I saved a few good ones for him. We took the girls the the $1.25 a scoop Chinese place. It wasnt bad, really. Better than I'd have expected for the price. The kung pao veggies were a little over cooked. I wont complain, though, when I can feed all five of us for less than $15...

No comments: